Corona Virus COVID 19 Pandemic
Information on the Situation in the Seaports of Niedersachsen
Oldenburg | March 18, 2020
The developments related to the Corona virus have an impact on our employees and our ports. The health of our employees is of great importance to us, as is the containment of the COVID 19 pandemic.
As a port company, we currently have an increased responsibility for smooth transport and logistics processes in the ports. Our ports contribute regionally, nationally and internationally to the supply of cargo and goods.
Niedersachsen Ports is responsible for the Ports of Brake, Cuxhaven, Emden, and Stade. The Ports of Baltrum, Bensersiel, Langeoog, Norderney, Norddeich, Spiekeroog, and Wangerooge are the starting points for the ferry traffic and a supply life line for the East Frisian islands.
In addition, the ports are the focus of many people's lives and work.
International vessels are required to register via the NSW (National Single Window) at least 24 hours before reaching the destination port. Part of the registration is a Maritime Declaration of Health. The port medical service will check the Maritime Declaration of Health before the ship arrives at port. If there are indications or special situations, a release is not issued and the ship is, for example, quarantined. For this purpose, there are designated berths available in the ports.
- Niedersachsen Ports has established an Emergency Management. Centrally and within the sites and branch offices, the current situation is re-assessed several times a day and further measures are then mandated as needed.
- The emergency management group is in contact with the Port Medical Service and the Health Authorities.
- Our employees are informed immediately about the necessary steps.
- Any personal contact is significantly reduced. Our employees must follow the rules for hygiene and keeping a safe distance from another, issued by the Robert-Koch Institute and the Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung (Center for Health Education).
- Depending on the situation, internal and external appointments are attended via telephone and video conferences or postponed and even canceled.
- Employees can generally work from home (Home Office) and this has been widely received. The contact to our colleagues is ensured.
- The Port Offices, ship reporting (arrival registration), controls of dangerous goods, switching centers (Harbor Railway) and locks within the ports are manned, the technical service is deployed.
For unavoidable customer contacts, special safety measures, (e.g. in the ship's registration offices) have been implemented. Please note the local instructions on site.
How to contact us:
Niedersachsen Ports is owner and operator of five seaports, seven island supply ports, plus three regional ports along the German North Sea shore. The registered office of the company is in Oldenburg. Through the branch offices in Brake, Cuxhaven (with satellite location Stade), Emden and Wilhelmshaven, Niedersachsen Ports is managing the port infrastructure in the large seaports of the State of Niedersachsen.
In addition, the Norden branch operates the supply ports for the East Frisian Islands. This way, Niedersachsen Ports is able to offer a multitude of port locations from one single source.